With so many homes on the market these days, homes that have unique or desirable features are able to stand out from the pack. Certainly, one of these features could be the presence of solar panels on a property. Who wouldn’t want clean energy with little to no electric bill? But, it is always good to know a little bit more about how exactly a home with solar panels could impact you down the road before taking the plunge. With that in mind, here some things to consider when you are thinking of buying a home with solar panels.
Benefits of a Solar-powered Home
- Low electricity costs – Homes that come with solar panels also come with cheaper electricity costs each month. Of course, the amount of savings depends on the size of the solar system, home size, and utility use.
- Sustainable energy – Solar energy is environmentally friendly because it is unlimited. The sun is a renewable resource, so homes with solar panels reduce their harmful environmental impact tremendously.
- Increased home value – Solar panels increase home value. This means that buyers can expect a favorable re-sell price if they ever decide to relocate. It comes with the added bonus of tax breaks as well, another huge positive for home buyers.
- Low maintenance fees – Because solar panels don’t need to be professionally serviced often, the costs associated with cleaning are minimal.
Potential Drawbacks of a Solar-powered Home
- Possible repairs – Similar to any other element of a used home, the condition of a solar panel system depends on the previous owners. The panels may require extensive cleaning or servicing if the seller did not properly maintain them.
- Panel lease – If the previous homeowner has not finished paying off his or her solar panel lease, the buyer absorbs the lease agreement and the balance. However, if the original owner secured the system from a loan agreement, he or she may still be responsible for the payments.
- Roof replacement – Maybe the solar panels are working just fine, but the roof isn’t in such good shape. It is much more difficult to have your roof replaced with solar panels on it, as you will incur more labor costs to uninstall and reinstall the system.
Solar Panel Experts
If you’re in the market for a solar-powered home or just purchased one, contact the professionals at PES Solar. Our team of energy experts can keep your new home’s solar panels in great shape and solve any of your solar questions or concerns. And, if the previous homeowner neglected to give the system any necessary attention, we can restore the panels to prime condition. To maintain your solar panels and keep your energy-efficient fixtures clean, contact PES today at (386) 668-4222.