Solar power has become one of the most popular alternative energy sources. This increase in popularity is thanks to the great reduction in solar panel costs in the last few years. But how do solar panels work? Let’s take a look.
The Basics of Solar Energy
Solar panels might seem overly complex, but will reduce the process to a few easy to understand steps:
- Sunlight makes contact with the solar cells on the solar panel, creating an electric field.
- Metal conductive plates that border the cell collect the electricity and transport them to wires.
- The electricity gets carried to an inverter, where everything is converted from DC to AC.
- The AC electricity is then transported to the breaker box, where it gets utilized by your house.
- In Florida, any unneeded electricity is sent through the utility meter and onto the electrical grid.
These are the basic workings of a solar panel and all you need to know when it comes to solar panels on your home. But the science is fascinating and worth looking at.
Solar Panel Science Facts
The science of solar panel energy production is very interesting! Here are just a few insightful facts about solar panels.
- On the atomic level, solar panels absorb photons, which are the particles of light, and those photons collide with electrons and free them from the atoms they orbit. Once the electrons are let loose, a flow of electricity is generated.
- The solar cells on a solar panel are known as photovoltaic cells. Photovoltaic literally means the act of producing electricity from light.
- Most photovoltaic cells are made of silicon—the same semiconducting material as microprocessors and other microelectronics.
- An electric field produced by solar panels is similar to a magnetic field. Magnetic fields are produced by opposite poles meeting. An electric field is created when opposite charges are separated.
- There are other types of solar power technology—such as concentrated solar power and solar thermal.
Now that you have an understanding for how solar panels work, you should know the advantages of having solar panels.
The Advantages of Solar Panels
Whether you’re big on the environment and looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint or simply trying to make your home a little more modern, there are tons of benefits to installing solar power. Since the energy itself comes from the sunlight, you’re creating and storing energy anytime the sun hits your solar panels. You will shave a lot off your electric bill with solar panels thanks to the power of the sun. When it comes time to sell your home, prospective buyers will be a lot more interested if they know they don’t have to worry about spending money to install solar panels in the future. While solar panel installation includes an upfront cost, it will provide you with numerous financial benefits in a short amount of time.
Solar Panels in Florida
We here at PES Solar are experts on how solar panels work! If you want to save more money, modernize your home, and reduce your carbon footprint, then PES Solar is the way to go. We help make solar work for you by providing a free estimate and zero-down financing on residential panel installations. Contact us to get a free estimate on solar panels.